Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Overcoming the Skinny-Fat

Yes.... I said it out loud. Skinny-fat. I know you are probably thinking either- what the heck? Or, she's tiny, how can I possibly understand what its like to be fat. Truth is, size does not matter when you are trying to be healthy. Weight is just a number, and that number is different for every person. Someones 120lb mark is a triumph, and for others that's a failure. Bottom line- we come in all different shapes and sizes, so never get caught up on a number.


We all know those people who can eat whatever they want, and you think they never gain an ounce. Although their metabolism is burning that calorie, I can guarantee their BMI isn't a praise worthy number. How you treat the inside of your body matters. We have all seen the Tara Reid pictures. Diet/Starve yourself, and you will get skinny, but if you don't workout and get the proper nutrition- you will still be fat. I struggle with this.... My metabolism is sky high. I eat chocolate everyday. If I could, I would skip dinner and just eat dessert. However, I cannot go through life with that diet plan, and my body lets me know it. I have tried all the stupid diets, struggled with eating problems, and even spent hours among hours perfecting my workout at the gym. If it is not balanced- you will not see the results.

What works for me? 1. Cut out the table sugar! White sugar is the devil when fighting a healthy battle. If I do crave sugar, I try and go with some type of berry or natural sugars. Plan your daily meals a head of time to prevent last minute splurging! 2. MOVE! Everyday! Do not skip cardio. Even if it is a 10 minute walk in the morning. Or workout while you watch TV. This is one of my best workout times. I can sit and do 200 crunches, 3 sets of 1 minute planks, and 3 sets of 30 sec leg lifts in a 30 minute sitcom. No its not a full work out- but I am reminding my muscles where they belong ;) Never stop reminding your muscles they need to be tight! A lot of my body structure has been framed from my competitive cheerleading and gymnastic days. However, in order to keep my muscles in place- I have to use them. There has been weeks, when I notice I have not been doing cardio. No, I didn't gain a pound, but my jeans were a little snug. The muscles shrink and fats dangles in its place. And as you can see for yourself (in the pic above) replacing a toned body with skinny-fat is not attractive. My body is not exactly where it needs to be right now, (it's that damn chocolate...and wine), but hey its a daily battle that we all fight together.

This week- keep moving, and plan your meals.  Those are not life altering changes in your schedule, but they are life altering results. It is a small start to being Ready for your Spotlight ;)

My goals this week:
     -  Increase cardio
     -  Limit Wine Before Bed :(
     -  Eat correct portions (Americans portions are 2/3 larger than what our bodies actually need!!!)
 
     -  ........do my laundry?! (not really a health factor, but     hey it needs to be listed)








xoxoxo,

Kaela

4 comments:

  1. So...you are calling me skinny-fat? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. not pointing fingers!!! This is just my personal take ;) Use my pointers and overcome it, if you feel you struggle with this as well ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post and Thanks for this useful information:-)
    how to get skinny quickly

    ReplyDelete